September 2, 2011

Open House & Meet the Parents (in Spanish!!!)

No, this blog post is not in Spanish....but my Open House presentation to parents was!! Last year I was terrified just to do my personal introduction in Spanish and my first year I wouldn't have dreamed of uttering one word. However, after conducting four rounds of parent-teacher conferences in Spanish over the last two years, using it on a daily basis without problem, and transitioning from that "think in English, translate to Spanish, then speak" to "just speak in Spanish" brain, I figured I better give it a shot.

Spoiler alert: It was fabulous!! Had to run over to Rob's (7th grade math teacher who teaches next door to me) room after 2 of 5 sections to tell him I was a Spanish rock star. Naturally.

In summary, so many parents mentioned to either me or my principal how great it was that I was using my Spanish, how comfortable they now feel in approaching me, and how much my Spanish has been "Colombianized" in that I now speak Spanish with the unique slang or idiosyncrasies of Colombian Spanish. After starting the first section a bit nervous, I got a big thumbs up from the elementary school principal who has a daughter in 8th grade and it was smooth sailing for the rest of the night.

I have been studying Spanish since 7th grade, continuing through high school, college, and studying abroad for a summer in Spain, so it is so nice to finally feel proficient in the language. Learning a second language is hard (just ask my roommate), but so completely rewarding when you master it. I still have a lot to learn in terms of grammar so that I do not sound like a four-year-old when I speak, but my confidence is definitely there. Now I just have to continue brainstorming ways to keep up with my Spanish when I move back to the United States!!

3 comments:

sts said...

well done!! what a great feeling!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristin,

You have a great blog! By the way, my name is Devin and I'm hoping to teach English or History in Colombia in a few months.

Do you have any advice on how to get a working visa? For instance, should my prospective employer pay for it or do I?

Thanks,
Devin

Kristin said...

Hey Devin, I would definitely try to get your employer to pay for it as well as help with the paperwork. It can be an expensive and confusing process!! Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails