June 10, 2011

Their Best Practices in Teaching, Her Clothes & MY Voice (Prompt 11)

Prompt:

Imitation is suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you - one that doesn't hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a "divine idea which each of us represents" - which is yours?

My Response:
Areas of my life in which I attempt to imitate others:
  • Teaching
  • Clothing/dressing choices (pictures to come but I pretty much wore Kelsi's closet to a party this past weekend)
  • Blogging
Teaching I am pretty okay with, because I use a lot of my own ideas anyway and the whole profession is basically improved when we learn best practices from each other. Dressing once in awhile I am okay with too, because Kelsi's adorable and thus I look adorbs (yes, we say that now) in her clothes.

Blogging however, I need to work on keeping my voice and not being insanely jealous of all the other awesome bloggers out there doing any number of cool things. Some days it is hard to look at, read or browse other blogs without comparing them to my own. However, having a blog is about sharing something of yourself. And you cannot really share yourself if you are trying to be someone else.

This whole #trust30 prompt thing is helping though. You cannot really answer these prompts with anything but authentic, real, completely individual answers. I am not hiding one piece of my uniqueness, but instead thriving on it. This month I am my own Divine Idea.

Take that, universe.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails