June 11, 2011

I'm A Dreamer (Prompt 12)

Prompt:

There are the voices we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is fear holding you back from living your fullest life and being truly self-expressed? Put yourself in the shoes of the you who's already lived your dream and write out the answers to the following:
  • Is the insecurity you're defending worth the dream you'll never realize? Or the love you'll never venture? Or the joy you'll never feel?
  • Will the blunder matter in 10 years? Or 10 weeks? Or 10 days? Or 10 minutes?
  • Can you be happy being anything less than who you really are?
Now Do. The Thing. You Fear.

Response:

Prompts like this are hard for me. I am a dreamer (but I'm not the only one*) by nature. But I am also a doer. I have many life goals on my list, but in some way shape or form I am doing something to make them happen. Maybe they aren't going to happen tomorrow but I have a plan for how to get there.

So the thing I fear? Isn't so much not having my dreams come true. More that who will I be and what will my life look like when I get there?

*From the song Imagine by John Lennon

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails