June 16, 2011

Imagine (Prompt 17)

Prompt:


A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flases across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

My favorite quote of all time is Alan Kay: "In order to predict the future, you have to invent it." I am all about inventing the future. Decide what you want the future to be and make it happen. Because you can. Write about your future now.

My Response:

I have long wanted and will probably someday actually get a tattoo of the word imagine. Not because I have any serious connections to the Beatles or John Lennon, although it is a great song, but more because I like the idea of imagining what else is out there. My whole life has been a journey to adventure and explore, simply because I imagined what else the world had in store for me.
When I think about my future I think also think about the future of our world and when I think about that I only want to imagine one thing: peace.
Before you stop reading because this just got all existential and weird, hear me out. Peace, in the purest sense of the world, simply means to live harmoniously together. With other countries. With our families. With our coworkers. With our friends. With ourselves.

I want the future to be a place where we don't make fun of each other for our shortcomings, but celebrate our individuality. A place where we think before we act. A place where we cut each other, and MOST OF ALL ourselves, a damn break every once in awhile. A place where it's okay to mess up, screw up, be a disaster for day, etc. so long as at the end of the day you still treated people with dignity and respect. A place where we don't have to watch the 6:00 PM news to find out what tragedies happened on that day. A place where "nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone."

Yeah...I think we could all go a little good by imagining a place like that.

Let's make it happen :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not weird at all. It's quite a beautiful future to imagine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails