June 2, 2011

I Needed To Do This (Prompt 3)

Prompt:

It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance


The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?


My Response:
I had a hard time thinking about a response to this. For the most part I have surrounded myself with people whose core beliefs, those things that really shape who they are at the very heart of things, are similar to my own. Then I re-read the quote about and thought about "the independence of solitude". Doing something for yourself, and not other people. Of going at it alone, even if the going gets tough.

That's exactly what I am doing. Have been doing for two years. Will be doing for at least one more. When I was 21 years old I went to a job fair in northern Iowa and made a decision within 48 hours to leave the only place I had ever called home in search of something more in Colombia. A job, yes. But also a lifestyle of travel, of adventure, of exploring. A view of the world that expanded beyond middle America.

At the time I realized the impact this decision would have on those around me, but it is only in hindsight that I can see just how different this decision was from those of my peers. I mean, we are all searching for something...but not everyone moves to a different continent to find it. And while there are times I miss the places, the things, and most of all the people who make Minnesota home, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wasn't ready to just settle down and stay there.

We all have our own paths in life, and that just wasn't mine.

Maybe someday.

But that day just isn't today.

So, that's it - my strong belief that isn't shared by everyone.

The belief that I needed to do this. That moving far away from the people you need, who also need you back, isn't incredibly selfish, but rather demonstrates the passion I have for living my very best life.

As for what I have done to actively live this belief? See the last two years of my blog for references... ;)


#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey.

1 comment:

kelsi said...

I really liked how you said: That moving far away from the people you need, who also need you back, isn't incredibly selfish, but rather demonstrates the passion I have for living my very best life.

I think this is a great point; especially since those people that do love you and need you, would want you to live your life in a way that is best for you, which is exactly what you are doing. And it is inspiring at that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails