January 10, 2011

Strolling the Streets of Cartagena

For some reason Colombia's most famous tourist destination didn't make the top of my list of travels when I arrived. After a year and a half I had yet to visit the Caribbean coastal town of Cartagena depite great recommendations from Colombians and expats alike. I finally made it there this January and I am so glad I did! While it is definitely as hot and humid as people describe, the old town in completely charming. Basically it reminded me of Spain and Italy with colorful streets that end in scenic, bustling plazas.

I spent two days there with friends until my dad and brother arrived for another four days of exploring. Founded as a port city and gateway to South America, Cartagena is famous for its stone walls which ring the entire perimeter of the old town. Pretty sweet, because it makes you feel like you are living in a fortress!

Some sights around the old town...











No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails