March 5, 2010

Mathletes in Cali - what, what!

Hahaha...ridiculous blog title, I know. :) So yesterday at school we held the second annual Math Olympics! Yes, that's right, a competition about math and it was F-A-B-ULOUS. As a total math nerd who loves problem solving and logic and some good old fashioned teamwork, I loved the entire event. My 8th grade students worked with groups of four students, composed of two 8th graders and two 9th graders, to solve logic problems appropriate for their level(s).
My friend Tara is the 9th grade math teacher and another awesome math nerd in disguise. We had a great time watching our students work together to solve some tough problems. As a teacher, I find that I most often teach to the middle of the road students, provide extra help for the lower students...and IF there is time leftover (which there usually isn't) then I think about the high end students. As a former "high end" math student, I definitely want to challenge my students who have a natural talent for math, but when push comes to shove, sometimes there just are not enough hours in the day!
The Math Olympics provided me with a great chance to challenge some of these students in a new day and I am so glad my students chose to participate in the event. All the winning teams (and teachers) will be receiving Math Olympics t-shirts to celebrate the event, and next week Tara and I will be hosting a pizza party for our 8th and 9th grade participants.
Here are some photos from the competition:

Loving the Math Olympics 2010
One of our teams hard at work!
Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails