January 13, 2010

Book Worm

Today was our first day back at school after break and I am already exhausted! These 8th graders sure are a handful. Who knew?

I have spent some time discussing my adventures over break, but in between all that I spent a lot of time on buses, in airports and in general just waiting around. As a result, I read a LOT over the last few weeks. I pretty much read and English language material I could get my hands on! :) In fact, after our last book club I located more than enough reading material.

I started break by finishing up Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have had friends with mixed reactions to this book but I absolutely LOVED it. Probably because she was traveling and trying to figure stuff out about herself, and that's pretty much what I am doing... However, I also loved her humor, her ideas, her thoughts on life, prayer and love...and pasta! One of my favorite themes throughout the book is her search for her word. But I think that topic needs a whole separate post...so onwards.
After finishing Eat, Pray, Love I started on my next travel adventure through...SPAIN! After studying abroad in Spain for six weeks one summer I have fallen 100% in love with the country and I cannot wait to go back and explore more! A play on the title of Lance Armstrong's book entitled, It's Not About the Bike, It's Not About the Tapas by Polly Evans is the story of her 1,000 mile summer spent traveling throughout Spain. Visiting small towns and tourist attractions, eating her way through delicious tapas, local wine, and fine brews, Polly tells hilarious stories of being chased by animals on the road, questioned by old men in small towns, and hostel owners who gasped at her biking adventure. This was the perfect book to read before and after I embarked on my jungle hike to Ciudad Perdida, and seriously makes me contemplate biking as a means of transportation next time I am in Spain...
However...I do have to admit, when I found this next book sitting on the shelf in our hostel in Santa Marta, I had to put the tapas aside and jump into the wonderful world of Dan Brown. Dan Brown is one of the most engaging writers I know and he spins tales of fabulous intrigue and mystery, I can never put his books down! True to form I read Deception Point in four days...which almost ended up being a disaster because I finished it on day 2 of 6 in the jungle...what was I to do?

Deception Point captivated me beginning to end, and really gave a powerful insight once again into the powers that be that we as citizens put so much trust in. NASA, the Pentagon, the President and the NRO all come into play in this intriguing and suspenseful novel. Definitely a perfect beach book!
Turns out...one of the guys in our hiking group also finished a book on the hike, so we decided to swap. I have never read a John Grisham book before, but after reading The Partner I cannot wait to read more! Just like Dan Brown, I found Grisham a terribly engaging author with scenarios and conversations that kept me turning page after page. The Partner tells the story of a man who faked his own death, stole $90 million from his law firm and disappeared entirely...that is until we was found. The front cover proclaims, "A dead man can't run forever." Also a great beach read and a total page turner.
In summary I will clearly have lots to share at our next book club! :) Now I just have to decide what to start next! With my move to a new neighborhood my commute to school is a bit longer and while I usually cannot read in cars, I am considering trying to read on the bus rides home in order to pass the time. Anyone read anything fabulous lately??


1 comment:

Ilse said...

You Should check out the book "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova, and also "The Book Thief." If you like Dan Brown and Grisham I feel like you will really like these. Oh! And try "She's come undone" by Wally Lamb. It's sort of a huge downer but it's a great coming of age book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails