December 31, 2009

bruce springsteen is actually a baller

Bruce Springsteen is basically my father's musical Mecca. The end all, be all of lyrical genius, performance intensity, and all around amazing-ness. Since I can remember we have been blasting The Boss's records in our house, cars and any available local with a good sound system. I have been to four Bruce shows despite the fact that I am about 30 years younger than the average Bruce concert goer. Senior year of college, my brother Joe and I even drove 6 hours round trip in one night to see Bruce perform his Working on a Dream concert at the Minnesota Xcel Energy Center. In summary, loving and appreciating everything E Street isn't so much an option as it is a birth right.

Bruce started this year with a rocking Super Bowl performance that left me speechless and stunned as I watched the intensity and energy he brought to the stage even at the age of 59! (He turned 60 this year!!) He sang, danced, and played an amazing show - better than anything else that happened on the field that night if you ask me - and EVEN left one cameraman in shock as he slide a little too far across stage. AMAZING.
Bruce finishes the year with the Kennedy Center Honors, during which he sat side by side with Barack and Michelle, who he campaigned for at the end of last year. LOVE IT.


Check out this video of Barack speaking about "the quiet kid from Jersey" - as cheesy as it is, I LOVED the part where he describes Bruce using titles from his songs. And "his concerts are more like communions" - PERFECT. Finally, Barack finishes with "I'm the president, but he's he boss."
Finally, Jon Stewart speaks about Bruce Springsteen's influence on his life and American music in general.
I love that he received this award, and that so many people recognize his amazing influence and the profound wisdom he integrates into his music, his life and our country. With this somewhat random post, as I take a break from discussing life in Colombia, here are some of my favorite Bruce lyrics - and yes, it was hard to limit myself to these. :)

The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside
darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me
[Thunder Road]

But there's one thing I know for sure girl
I don't give a damn
For the same old played out scenes
I don't give a damn
For just the in betweens
[Badlands]

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love give us love
[Into the Fire]

My father said "Son, we're lucky in this town
It's a beautiful place to be born
It just wraps its arms around you
Nobody crowds you, nobody goes it alone.
That you know flag flying over the courthouse
Means certain things are set in stone
Who we are, what we'll do and what we won't."
[Long Walk Home]

I'm working on a dream
Though trouble can feel like it's here to stay
I'm working on a dream
Our love will chase the trouble away
[Working on a Dream]

What is this land America so many travel there
I'm going now while I'm still young my darling meet me there
Wish me luck my lovely I'll send for you when I can
And we'll make our home in the American land
[American Land]

1 comment:

KAC said...

This post just seriously made my life haha. My parents always played Bruce all the time when I was little and as a result I am absolutely OBSESSED with him! I've been to three concerts and they have all been an absolute blast...thanks so much for sharing your fav lyrics and the clips from Kennedy Center Honors they were great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails