November 6, 2009

NYC Marathon

At the race headquarters the day before.
WOW! 26.2 miles is a long way to run...and it's a long way to follow a person around a city to watch her run! During my 3 day weekend in NYC, we spent Sunday out and about supporting my Aunt Susie in her run. While this was the main purpose of my trip, I didn't realize at the time I booked my ticket what an amazing race this is. Seriously, people from all over the country and all over the world come to run and to support their loved ones.

Ready to go! At mile 3 in Brooklyn, signs in hand.
The runners followed a course through the five neighborhoods of New York. We (the fans!) started the day with coffee and maps (subway & course) in hand. By making good use of our all day unlimited subway passes, a well mapped out plan, and a little bit of jogging in between locations we were able to see Susie at FIVE spots along the way! We saw her at miles 3, 8, 16, 24.5, and 26. She did an amazing job and completed the race super close to her goal time. (See the official results here!) I am so proud of her and I was so proud to be a part of her cheering squad!
Waving at mile 8 in Brooklyn.
Mile 16 - runners coming off the Queensboro Bridge into Manhattan.
Support team as we walked from Queensboro Bridge to Central Park for the finish!
Near the end of the race, as the runners complete the last two miles through Central Park, we stood with our signs in hand, cheering on runners as they made their way to the finish line. I am totally guilty of getting teary eyed watching everyone towards the finish! Such an amazing accomplishment! Also, those runners who put their names on their shirts were so fun to cheer for. We were totally yelling out random people's names and cheering them on. After Susie ran past at mile 24.5 my mom and I dashed across Central Park in time to see her finish (on an uphill! really NYC marathon designers....really?!?) and snap a photo (after my mom told a security guy to move out of the way!).
All set up to cheer at mile 25 - can you see our signs?
Mile 25 - one left!
Self-photo while dashing through Central Park to the finish line! Classic.
Looking awesome at mile 26!! .2 left to go!
The cheering squad!
Mom, Susie and me!
All in all, this was a great way to celebrate a great life accomplishment with some amazing women in my life. Congrats Sus! :)

p.s. Check out the NY Times' "Faces at the Finish" photo collage for some great candid photos!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails