Another productive, successful weekend in Cali, and good thing because school starts tomorrow! First day with the kids bright and early at 7:30 am!
Over the weekend Maggie and I did some exploring and really enjoyed getting out in the city. In summary...
- Passed doctor's appt & eye appt tests for school insurance, received Colombian cell phones at school
- Pizza & beer at our friends Angie and Caleb's apt...I love having friends who live across the street from us! Tried Pizza 1969 and it was pretty good.
- Lazy morning
- Artisan markets entitled La Loma de La Cruz (Hill of the cross) or something like that. We took a taxi up there with some fellow teachers, and met some of our friends who live in the neighborhood. The individual booths were filled with cool things-we almost bought a hammock but we still need to figure out if it will be feasible for our balcony. Maggie did get some sweet black sandals though; they are custom making them for her over-sized American foot and we're picking them up next Saturday.
- Walked around the neighborhood of San Antonio and enjoyed the culture! San Antonio is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Cali and truly is the cultural center of Cali.
- Had the best malteada moka (Mocha malt) of. my. life. at a small coffee shop down the street from our friends Aaron and Amanda's apartment. A delicious blend of coffee, milk, and chocolately goodness.
- Attended Festival Petronio Alvarez music from the Pacific coast festival. Didn't actually make it inside the Plaza del Toros due to number of people at the free show, but had a blast outside where they showed the inside show on a big screen.
- Enjoyed our first Salsa club experience at Tin Tin Deo. New life goal: improve dancing skills.
- LAZY. Did not leave the house until 4 pm. At which point we walked to the local bread shop and back. Productive, I know.
- Actually did write some lesson plans for Algebra.
- Maggie started to teach me yoga! Yay! She's a yoga genius and she was teaching in Colorado so she knows her stuff...and so I've enlisted her to teach me so I can go to yoga classes with her and know what's going on. Also, we both agreed my first time learning yoga should not be in a foreign language. :)
- Apartment invasion around 5pm courtesy of our lovely friends on their way home from working at school. We loved showing off our apartment & such! :)
- Final classroom preparations! I think I'm ready for tomorrow....
- Investigated Pomona, an upper end grocery store with a few import things...such as peanut butter! Did not have enough pesos to pay, nor a Visa card with matching id...so we were those people taking stuff out until we could pay in cash. :)
- NOW: @ home. Blogging with red Chilean wine and cooking up some veggies & beef for dinner soon. Most likely watching Sex & the City in 1 to 2 hours.
Happy reading! :)