August 2, 2009

Colombian-isms

After a few days in Colombia I am starting to discover that while the Spanish language has many universal vocabulary words, there are some specific phrases for Colombia.  Those of you who speak Spanish will probably find this more interesting than others, but here are a few of them.
  • Colombians say "Buenas" instead of "Hola"...they only say buenas because then they don't actually have to think about what time of day it is.
  • Colombians never say "Lo siento" (I'm sorry), instead they say "Que Pena" (What a pain)...not really sure on the rationale for this but one reason is they believe a lot in fate, so if they bump into you, its not their fault because it was fate.
  • Colombians say "Mucho gusto" (Happy for it/pleased to meet you) instead of "De nada" (You're welcome)
More later, off to swim in the hotel pool!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

So basically they can do no wrong because it's always fate. I like these colombians already :)

I think on my way back to America next summer it will be in my best interest to have a week layover in Cali. thoughts?

Related Posts with Thumbnails